Halloween is the best time of the year. It's a wonderfully indulgent time, where your inner ghoul is given societal license to be put on display. To celebrate it to it's wicked fullest, the Midnight Cheese will be posting every day in October with excellent ways to enjoy the season. Whether it's horror films, video games, books or activities, check back every day for some new Halloween fun.
"Saturday night at the movies, who cares what we came to see!"
1991's low budget slasher film is actually a brilliant love letter to William Castle-esk gimmickry and 50's giant monster flicks. There's so much to laude and enjoy in Popcorn that it's surprising how little known it actually is. It would help if there was a proper DVD release of it, which there isn't, but you can catch it on Netflix instant streaming. So why should you seek Popcorn out?
It's early Saturday morning so I'm gonna do this list style:
- The setting is a classic, old school movie theatre
- Really cool gimmicks for the fictional in film movie festival films; Mosquito in Projecto-o-Vision! Attack of the Amazing Electrified man in Shock-o-Scope! And The Stench in Aroma-Rama!
- Takes place on Halloween, the Horrorthon staff and attendees are all in costumes.
- The kills, while there aren't an over abundance, are all creative and gleefully evil.
- Excellent cinematography, great use of the setting, good performance from all the principals.
More than anything, Popcorn takes great pains to revel in it's love of 50's horror tropes; simultaneously it lampoons, emulates and aggrandizes all that made that era great, whilst still forming a successful 80's slasher film. It's a tall task, which most filmmakers would fail at. Check out Popcorn and if you dig it, search for the Kickster program that's currently working to give it the Proper DVD release it deserves.