Monday, October 31, 2011

The 31 Days of Halloween: Day 29


Halloween is the best time of the year. It's a wonderfully indulgent time, where your inner ghoul is given societal license to be put on display. To celebrate it to it's wicked fullest, the Midnight Cheese will be posting every day in October with excellent ways to enjoy the season. Whether it's horror films, video games, books or activities, check back every day for some new Halloween fun.

Playing tricks on treaters


I can't be the only person to have disguised themselves as a scarecrow, sat immobile next to the door and waited to scare trick or treating children. Now that I've brought it up, you kinda want to do it too. Be honest. Halloween night is all about the fun you can have. Here are a few cool traditions I celebrate that you might enjoy as well.

As an enormous horror film fan, I'll take any chance I can to expose more folks to the flicks that I love. Luckily, I own an LCD projector. I hang a white bed sheet in my bay window and project films onto it (from the inside). The effect looks really cool and I give any kid who can guess the film double candy. That's the difficult part though, my film selection can't be gory or contain nudity, which in the horror genre ties my hands to mostly black and white features for the 60's on back. Though last year I did show Tremors, which some ghoulish visitor recognized.

Another fun trick to play on treators uses a fog machine to great effect. Take one of your jack o'lanterns, one with a menacing face, and carve an addition hole in the back of it. This hole is to accommodate the fog machine's nozzle. You shoot it as the kids approach for excellent scary effect! One issue may be that this can blow out the candle inside. To combat that use a glow stick instead. Green is especially creepy.

My last tradition is designed to treat the parents in the neighborhood. It's only fair to help them enjoy the evening too. To that end, I hollow out a pumpkin but don't carve a face on it. Instead, I install a small tap in it and fill it with pumpkin beer. Traditionally I fill it with my own homemade pumpkin brew but any you can purchase should have the same effect. It's an excellent treat to offer and most folks are appreciative.

Whatever you particular special Halloween traditions are, celebrate them with gusto!

No comments:

Post a Comment